Monday, August 7, 2006

Eleanor Holm Jarrett isn't competing in Berlin?

Eleanor Holm Jarrett went for a sight-seeing stroll with a friend, met onetime Crown Prince Friedrich Wilhelm Viktor August Ernst at Netherlands Palace. Swimmer Jarrett reported that the onetime Crown Prince had sent her flowers. In New York, her husband, Crooner Art Jarrett, suddenly took ship for Germany.

The American Public and many sports fans worldwide would expect Mrs. Jarrett to be in the Swimming Pool competing in the backstroke. She was suspended from the American team for setting a bad example in getting intoxicated while on the transatlantic voyage to Europe.

Mrs. Jarrett has said of her suspension, which came as a surprise to the Champion of the 1932 Los Angeles Games, this:

This chaperone came up to me and told me it was time to go to bed. God, it was about 9 o'clock, and who wanted to go down in that basement to sleep anyway? So I said to her: `Oh, is it really bedtime? Did you make the Olympic team or did I?' I had had a few glasses of Champagne. So she went to Brundage and complained that I was setting a bad example for the team, and they got together and told me the next morning that I was fired. I was heartbroken.
Avery Brundage, the Team Leader, has not commented on this. Holm's Olympic teammates petitioned unsuccessfully to overturn the suspension.

No comments: